The latest Academy Street proposals will be discussed and hopefully approved at the Inverness Area Committee on Monday 28th August 2023.
After a long public consultation, with many feeling the original proposals were not ambitious enough – a proposal which took this feedback into account was approved by the council. However concerns were raised by BID that these plans had not been consulted on. The Highland council presented these plans at a stakeholder breakfast, which we attended on the 20th July. The next stage is for approval at the Inverness Area Committee on the 28th August.
HCC are disappointed not to see a protected cycle lane as part of these proposals, but feel that the projected reduction in traffic along with reduced speeds will provide safer and more accessible cycling. We have written to The Highland Council with a letter of support, outlining our position.
- Highland Council Outline and FAQ
- See all the plans on the common place portal
- Information leaflet (pdf)
If you want to see these proposals go ahead you should:
- Comment on Common Place
- email your support to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact your local Councillor to let them know you support the improvements
- Contact councillors on the Inverness Area Committee* to ask them to approve the plans.
The next stages are approval at the Inverness Area Committee of Highland Council and funding approval from Sustrans.
The City of Inverness Area Committee
The city of Inverness Area Committee is made up of 23 members from the wards covering Inverness, Culloden, Ardesier, Loch Ness and Aird. Full papers will be available 3 working days before.
- Colin Aitken (Ward 19 – Inverness South)
- Chris Ballance (Ward 12 – Aird and Loch Ness) Deputy Chair
- Bill Boyd (Ward 13 – Inverness West)
- Ian Brown (Ward 16 – Inverness Millburn) – Chair
- Glynis Campbell Sinclair (Ward 17 – Culloden and Ardersier)
- Michael Cameron (Ward 14 – Inverness Central)
- Alasdair Christie (Ward 15 – Inverness Ness-side)
- Helen Crawford (Ward 12 – Aird and Loch Ness)
- David Fraser (Ward 12 – Aird and Loch Ness)
- Ken Gowans (Ward 19 – Inverness South)
- Alex Graham (Ward 13 – Inverness West)
- David Gregg (Ward 16 – Inverness Millburn)
- Jackie Hendry (Ward 15 – Inverness Ness-side)
- Emma Knox (Ward 12 – Aird and Loch Ness)
- Isabelle MacKenzie (Ward 16 – Inverness Millburn)
- Ryan MacKintosh (Ward 13 – Inverness West)
- Andrew MacKintosh (Ward 15 – Inverness Ness-side)
- Kate MacLean (Ward 14 – Inverness Central)
- Duncan Macpherson (Ward 19)
- Bet McAllister (Ward 14 – Inverness Central)
- Morven Reid (Ward 17 Culloden and Ardersier)
- Trish Robertson (Ward 17 – Culloden and Ardersier)
- Andrew Sinclair (Ward 19 – Inverness South)